Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Trusting Your Body

The thing is, many of us trust our own bodies. We go through our lives and, unless, we have a sensation that isn't pleasant, we trust that everything is okay. My mission was to trust my body during this pregnancy. I felt that I was "fixed" with the septum resection surgery and I could do as most pregnant women do, that is, walk, practice yoga, do household chores, etc. I was mistaken. It's now been 3 months and I've been on bedrest or modified bedrest. Let me define this for all of you that are thinking, "That doesn't sound so bad." Modified Bedrest-Absolutely no exercise, not even gentle pre-natal yoga, little activity, no household chores, no unnecessary walking. The goal is to stay horizontal as much as possible. Bedrest-Laying horizontally in bed all day/night. Being completely dependent on your husband/partner, family and friends. Only leaving bed to use the bathroom. Now, for the anatomy lesson. Cervix: Bottom of the uterus. This is what dilates and effaces to allow the baby to pass through the birth canal. So, my cervix started funnelling and shortening 16 weeks into the pregnancy. My OB recommended a cervical cerclage. This is where they go in and place a suture around the cervix. Think about a bagel and putting a thick thread around the bagel to "lock" the center of the bagel together. With the pressure of the baby, the cervix dilates normally at the end stages of pregnancy. Mine was beginning to open very early, so the bedrest has helped. Anyone who is prescribed bedrest, begin to tap into your inner strength. Being still is probably the toughest thing to do for us westerners (meaning "Americans") but it can teach us so much about ourselves if we only let it. So, another lesson that God/the Universe is trying to teach me.

4 comments:

Me said...

I was just about to pester you for a new post, but you beat me to it.

I'm sorry you're stuck on bedrest, it just seems so unfair given you've been remodelled and you're fit and healthy and everything. I hope Miss C is the easiest baby on the planet after all this!

queen said...

Can you get a DVD player next to you? Might help a little. I watched a lot of stuff I would never watch normally when the three flights of stairs kept me home during the last days of pregnancy. And yes, I know it's not the same as bedrest, just saying a DVD player might help.

Shinejil said...

Wow! I really admire your positive approach to learning from this trying experience. I'm glad that bedrest is helping.

Meg said...

Hello! Not sure how my process of blogging got me to you. Bedrest sounds wonderful for about 3 seconds and then you realize it is for a really long time....but it is worth it!

If you can get up and about, you should come visit us. The Colorado Blogger group meets for the first time this Saturday.

Search This Blog